Re: [VAL] Re: Winter Camping

   Mark
   I usually don't worry to much about the water lines on the way to
campsite or back home. Usually after a camping trip I blow the water lines
out with an air compressor, about 50 PSI is fine. So on the way the water
lines are usually empty or close to it. I do put a few gallons of water in
the fresh tank before leaving, this is just in case we need to stop so
someone can use the bathroom, that way we don't have to worry about
finding a clean restroom. Of course if we do stop and need the water, I
still don't worry about the lines. Once we get to the campsite if it's
freezing I start filling the fresh tank while I set up the trailer. Then I
disconnect the city water since I don't need it. With the heater going the
water tank gets a little heat so it want freeze, at least ours hasn't.
   One thing I did do when I first got it, actually after our return from
our first outing, which was in the summer by the way. I yanked out the
copper lines since we discovered they leaked in several places. Yea it
about ruined our first trip with it which was of all places the beach.
That's another story. Any way I replaced the copper with PEX tubing, used
red/blue, didn't buy the fancy crimp tool though I used the connectors
that I used compression fittings. Buy bulk from a plumbing wholesaler and
you can save money versus the crimp tool. Other than replacing the water
lines, one thing I hope I improved on was the lines that run over the
street side wheel well. I put insulation wrap on them since they seemed to
be close to the wheel well and this was the area that the original copper
lines were split. The lines seem real close to the ABS wheel well which to
me provides zilch insulation. Yes using the wrap made it more of a
challenge to get both lines through there, but yes it can be done and it's
not really that bad. If you have copper lines in yours now, I would
probably get a couple 6 foor sections of the spit wrap insulation and
install it over the copper. May save you some grief later.
   The biggest problem I have winter camping is with my sewer hose. Since
I don't have a gray tank I need my gray water to drain somewhere, and I
sure don't need it to just go on the ground to freeze so that when I go
hook up the sewer hose to dump the tank I bust my butt on a patch of ice.
The biggest problem with the sewer hose is that it will freeze and then
crack if you move it. I use a sewer slinky support now, and before I have
to disconnect to leave I run some warm water in the trailer so it of
course goes through the sewer hose, then I dump the black tank, run some
more warm/hot water to flush the sewer hose out then disconnect. This has
been working for me pretty good now. I used to just deal with it and buy a
new sewer hose after each winter trip, but we go several times and that's
just a waste of money. Besides on one trip I didn't replace the hose when
I got home, so when we got to the campsite, I didn't have one. Some places
we go the nearest RV parts or Wal-Mart is miles away, heck sometimes we
have to go many miles to find any store.
   Oh you mentioned running the heater while towing. I can't say I never
done that, not any more. Normally, I don't, never really have until this
last trip. We got maybe 1.5-2 hours away and had to take a potty break.
When we stopped man it was cold outside, and the trailer was cold inside
too. While they wife and kids were taking their turn using the bathroom I
fired the heater up. Figured what the heck, I'll run it and see if I can
have the trailer warm when we get to the campsite. It stayed lit the rest
of the way, and it was SO nice when we got there at 11 P.M. I don't think
I tow a complete trip with it going, but you better believe if it's
freezing again and I have to stop 1-2 hours from getting to a campsite,
that heater is going to be running.
   Rather long but I hope it helps you out.
   Take care, God bless
   Bobby