Re: [VAL] Mid size trailer w/beds, trailer weight

I have found that the older the Airstream, the lighter.  Wally Byam felt that
the Airstream should be built in the lightest possible manner available, to
tow them easily in the comfort of the family sedan
.  My  25'  1952 Cruiser weighs only  2,400 lbs.!  Yet has a rear bedroom,
house like kitchen and a living room like a newer 28'  Trailer.  My 1956  22'
Flying Cloud weighs 2,700 lbs.  and my 1958  26'  Overlander weighs 3,700 lbs.
Wally must have been  Rolling in his grave when they started installing
Corian counters and oak cabinets in the eighties and A/S's ended up weighing more
than conventional trailers,  requiring large inefficient trucks to tow them
with.

In the future if people still want to travel by trailer when gas is 4 or $5 a
gal.  I guess the early A/S's are going to be worth a mint as they can be
towed with a 4 cyl Toyota Tacoma or similer vehicle and get 20 plus miles per
gal.   Buy the way the Tacoma's 4 cyl engine puts out the same HP as the V8s of
the early eighties.

I hope some one at Airstream will get smart and see the coming future,  and
see that the designs of the past could pave the way to the future of trailer
travel.

Vanessa