Re: [VAL] Brake magnet disc

    Steve, Earl, Gerald and all,

    Well here's the skinny on the brake disc and wheel bearing repacking
job.  First of all, it took so much running around today that only the
curbside is done but I now have all the stuff I need to whip out the
streetside tomorrow

    First things first.

    1.  There wasn't a recognizable part number on the grease seal that I
buggered removing it so the parts guy at my local shop and I had to figure
it all out.  Not having a micrometer, and needing the ID of the seal (1
3/4") I went home from he shop and wrapped a strip of paper around the clean
spindle shoulder and made a pen stroke on the slightly overlapping paper.  I
returned to the shop and we measured the two pen lines.  We divided that by
3.1417? and came up three thousandths off from   1 3/4".  I have no idea
what the OD was but he took that from the old seal.  So today I picked up a
pair of Federal Mogul seals, P/N 470361 that he ordered for me.

    2.  I also bought the coolest bearing greaser you ever want to see.
Here's a peek at what I bought
http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=534  The instructions also
suggest that it can be used horizontally in a bench vise which I did to make
it easier on me old bones. It's a waaay cool tool boys and girls, waaay cool
and it keeps the hands relatively clean too!

    3.  Now to the rivets.  I ended up running all over town to auto stores
and brake shops to no avail.  But one brake place recommended that I call a
place near downtown LA, Century Wheel in the City of Commerce.  A very
helpful guy there named Rich told me that those two-part drums and electric
brake discs are way outdated, the ones today being one piece.  The rivets
aren't available any more according to him so he suggested that I replace
them with flat head, 1/2" long Grade 8 (black) 1/4-20 case hardened screws.
I bought six of them and two spares at a local hardware store that has every
fastener known to the free world and I also got eight Grade 8 split ring
washers and eight Grade 8 1/4-20 nuts.  I might add that this is just what
Gerald suggested last night on this List.

    Drilling out the rivets was a piece of cake on the drill press taking no
more than about 5-10 minutes for all three and I easily punched out the
remaining rivets with a 1/4" drift.

    The screws have an 1/8" Allen head in them which made the installation
that much easier.  I took Steve's advise and applied a bit of LokTite Red to
taste and tightened the nuts down.  Then I installed the repacked inner
bearing and the seal.  The rest went as you would expect with the outer
bearing going into the freshly painted drum and it now looks and turns like
a million bucks.

    Thanks again to all who helped and I hope my write up above might serve
to save someone a lot of running around should they choose to revive their
old style drums and separate magnetic disc.

    Tomorrow the streetside.

    Regards,

    Glyn