[VAL] Cargo Shifting: Cargo Access Door

    All,

    as many of you are tired of hearing about the installation of cargo door
and the associated exploits, here's a bit of less mundane and cheerier news
for some lucky reader.

    In my attempt to find just the right door, I spent over a year looking,
ending up with two of them.  One as you all know is now successfully fitted
and the other (the first one I bought) still sits here leaning up against my
desk.

    Here are the details:

    1.  It's a horizontal cargo access door and frame from a mid to late
'70's Airstream (flush, tombstone locking handle).

    2.  It hinges down to open with the lock at the top and the hinge is
captive to the door and frame.  That means that the door doesn't come off
but remains attached at all times.  (The smaller one I just installed lifts
up and is removable, leaving just the frame around the access hole).

    3.  The extreme outside measurements of the frame are 21 7/8" wide X 13
1/2" high.

    4.  That makes the door 20" X 11 1/2".

    5.  The usable opening (frame inside measurement) is 19" X 10 5/8".

    6.  There is or never was a an eyebrow-type rain gutter along the top of
the door at the frame.

    Now here's the screwy part.  I couldn't figure out what kind of gasket
was ever between the door and the frame (none there when I got it) so winged
it with an adhesive-backed foam weather strip material I got from
McMaster-Carr that kind of works.

    This door was removed from an Airstream and the empty rivet holes are on
the outside lip of the frame awaiting match drilling to your unit.  I even
had a pair of keys made for it that I'll include at no extra cost ; - ).
It's a crummy Chicago lock with worn tumblers so you kind of have to hold
your tongue just the right way to actuate the lock but it does open and lock
shut.

    This little genuine Airstream sucker cost me a small fortune (try medium
fortune to be more accurate) but is worthless to me now that I have another
one installed so my loss is your gain ONLY IF you can use it for your own
purposes and don't want it from me just to turn around and resell.  All you
have to do is be willing to cover the postage for me to get it to you and be
the first to speak up for it.  I'll take care of the rest.

    Photos available on request.

    Good luck,

    Glyn Judson
    1969 Caravel #508