[VAL] RE: Original vs not

Hi Mary,
I think someone already pointed out that the original flooring was 9x9
tiles - look under the cabinets - I bet you find them.

As for the concept of originality, this question comes up often - I even
created an item for it in my FAQ section:
http://vintageairstream.com/FAQ/FAQ_4.html#Restoring
------------
Q: How can I remodel or change the interior without affecting the value
of my trailer, both historical and financial?

A: As long as the alterations are sympathetic to original design and
materials, it is quite acceptable to adjust and repair the interiors of
these older trailers without affecting the value.  Well thought out
improvements will actually increase their appeal  and value.
It is also quite acceptable to use modern systems, disguising or hiding
them as appropriate.  Examples are rewiring the electrical on a 1950's
trailer with a converter to supply 12v to all the lights instead of the
old 110V, or replacing a worn-out hot water heater with a new unit, but
modifying and reusing the old exterior shroud, or replacing a damaged
cabinet, but using similar plywood and finish and reusing the hardware.
There are many new materials that would look appropriate in a vintage
trailer - they are usually well made using base materials - chrome,
aluminum, wood and glass.
-------------

In the case of the Gaucho covering, there are so many sources of cool
looking period materials - I've listed just some in my resource section:
http://vintageairstream.com/rr_topics_suppliers.html
Lodge, Atomic, Island - you name it - pick your theme.

Use you imagination, get something you really like - the only caveats
are make sure it is of good durable quality (tapestry, upholstery and
barkcloths are ideal) and is good at hiding wear and stains.  A smooth
polyester - no,  earth toned cord - yes; you get the idea.

Same can be applied to all other materials & installations.  Use good
quality materials, well installed that invoke feelings of the trailers
era and you can't go wrong if you ever need to sell the trailer - and I
think you will enjoy the ride until then.
Best of luck,
RJ