Re: [VAL] Tow vehicle questions

I don't know which Toyota dealers you folks are talking to, but here in SE
Michigan, the dealers I talked to about towing with the Tacoma all stated
that the tow rating was generous, and that if I used a load balancing
(equalizer type) hitch, the warranty was void because of insufficient
strength in the frame causing the frame to buckle. Apparently this has come
up before with other owners, enough to raise the warranty issue. I don't know
if this is remedied for 2006, as I was looking at 2005 models, and will be
looking again at the Taco in 2007. With the TRD option and the 4.11 ratio
rear end, I was fairly willing to give it a try. The non TRD Tacos have a
much less desirable (for towing, but more economical) rear end ratio.

I don't know about the Tundra, I didn't ask about it, but a crawl under the
4-runner tells me the frame isn't any better than the Tacoma.

I had a real use for the off-road capabilities of the Taco (I've owned a few
in the past), but couldn't use it as a tow vehicle because of the frame
limitations.

If anyone finds anything else out regarding the warranty and frame issues, I'd
be appreciative of the info.

I am still looking to put together a rugged off-road (trail capable, truck
only) tow-vehicle (safety first) and a small trailer combo to get into the
back country for fairly extended periods of time in the desert southwest.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060