[VAL] Whole trailer awnings

VAL gang -

I have also thought about the whole trailer cover thing. I own a 18'x27'
canopy "tent" bought from Cabela's last year (about $800, best deal and
construction for the price I found).  It would fit over and around my
27' '70 International.  But getting setup is hard enough, let alone
trying to do it OVER a big aluminum twinkie (we have named her
Twinkie).  A near impossible task while just out camping, but I gave it
serious thought for this last month's work use at a NE Missouri steam
and tractor show that I video and sell.  Our A/S serves as production
central and a sales and info booth.  But, those steam engines can burn a
canopy down in a hurry.

As an alternative, I have a 10x10 5 pole (center pole) canopy.  I set
tapcon screws into the awning channel, secured nylon pull cable at the 3
grommet points and tied those (double loops) into the canopy grommets.
5 gal. water buckets would not hold the canopy up in the light winds, so
the show's blacksmith made me 6 rolled steel stakes about a foot long
that I could drive into the soil/gravel grounds of the fairgrounds.  I
did not use the center pole, but made 4 poles out of the 5,giving me
plenty of height for door opening clearance.  Worked great.  $9 for the
stakes, 25"for the screws.  A very cheap, workable solution for an
awning in the wilderness.

But you must be REAL careful to only drive those channels screws in the
channel, not down completely tight! No, I didn't to that, but realized
on the first one I could have easily! Yikes.  Pass the Vulkem....

I plan to try it as a winter cover and work area this fall winter if I
can set it up so I does not block the other half of the drivewary!

On one more note, A/S in Jackson did state they had  4 of the waste
tanks that go into my 1970 INternational in stock.  Price? I didn't have
to have another one, so I didn't check with a dealer and Jackson would
not tell me list price.  But at least they are there.  My waste tank
says it was made in KS, not far from me.  Interesting.....

Bathroom floor has worked out great.  Went with System 3 epoxy available
through a local Woodcraft dealer.  All my subfloor will eventually get a
treatment.

I'll post photos in the future and if I get that whole trailer awning
up.  But that awning is not something I would want to haul with me.

Russ Wojtkiewicz
1970 27' International Overlander
1994 Suburban (recently had gas cap and 1/2 tank gas taken by I guess
more needy scoundrel, get your locking caps!)
Kansas City, MO