Re: [VAL] White roofs, shiny Airstreams, etc.

    Jim and all,

    Some years ago (due now again) we replaced the dark brown Sunbrella
dodger and Bimini on our sailboat with a tan colored Sunbrella material.
The difference below on a hot summed day was very measurable.  Add to that a
boom tent we sometimes deploy when on a mooring at Catalina Island and the
interior temps drop even more.  By the way, a boom tent is nothing more than
a large panel slung over the boom and secured to stanchions, etc.

    As our Caravel is in a fixed location permanently, I'm giving serious
thought to buying a nice big 10' X 20' white shelter offered at Home Depot
for permanent use over our '69 Caravel with the hope that it'll drop temps
inside, etc.

    Temps here were in the mid 80's and it was more than a bit toasty inside
the Caravel despite having the front and rear windows as well as the door
open.

    Glyn Judson
    1969 Caravel #508
    Santa Monica CA