Re: [VAL] Rmoving Silicon and other Gunk

Vanessa,

I ran a '55' first series Chevy pickup for 24 years as my daily driver.
It was 6 volt and I kept it 6 volt thinking it more valuable as
original. Started just fine summer and winter.  Never had any serious
trouble with that setup but could have been trying if I had ever needed
a jump start.   When I sold it the first thing the new owner did was
convert to 12 volt. :-)  I would strongly suggest you convert the
Packard to 12 volt if you intend to use it on the road.  Conversion is
not that difficult.  You will likely want an alternator rather than a
generator anyway and the starter will work just fine as is.  You may
need to convert the fuel gage or add a shunt and the radio will need
some sort of converter, along with replacing all of the lamps.
Alternative is to run a dual voltage battery, 6 and 12 volt feed the
charging and starting circuits with 12 volts and leave the balance of
the car 6 volt.  Only real down side to that approach is you will spend
more for the batteries with each replacement.  6 volt wire is heaver
that 12 volt so if the wiring is good you can leave it.

Atb,
RK