[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V2 #348

Thanks RJ.  The Overlander is the third Airstream I have redone.  The
first was the Caravel.  Then we had a 68 Tradewind which was replaced
by the Overlander.  They have all had their issues, but if you stick
with it, they can be overcome.  The flooring I used was an Armstrong
product which has the look of acid washed concrete.  It fit with the
color scheme, so went with it.  Had used it in the Tradewind and like
it as it wears really well.  It is expensive, about $32 a yard.  Just
happy there is not a lot of floor space in the Airstreams.  I did remove
all the fixtures (toilet/tub/sink in the bath) and cabinets, fridge,
oven, galley sink and counter before placing the linoliem.  Makes a big
difference and seals the entire floor.  Had some left over, so also
placed it in the front end under the water tank and goucho.  My method
of cutting to fit is to tape kraft paper to the subfloor, taping all
the pieces together and then press and trace the curves, remove the
kraft paper in one piece and trim the edges.  I then roll out the
linoleum in the driveway, with the good side up, in the sun to help
soften it, place the template I made on top and then mark the edges
with a black marker.  The material is easy to cut with a pair of sharp
scissors after laying in the sun for a few minutes and I get an exact
fit.  I think the total cost for the flooring for the entry, galley,
bath and under the front goucho was about $240.

I did use marine plywood for the subfloor.  The difference between marine
plywood and other plywood is the type of glue used and marine is also void
free.  When plywood is manufactured they fill all the voids in each layer
so the plywood is actually more suited for a floor.