Re: [VAL] On Road Computer/E-Maill

Gerald wrote:

> A pocket cell phone has minimal power and antenna which makes long
> distances out in the boonies difficult or impossible. A cell phone part
> of the tow vehicle with and outside antenna should give far better
> coverage as would one mounted in the Airstream with an outside antenna.
> One of the characteristics of the aluminum skin of the airstream is that
> it shields the interior from radio waves even better than it keeps light
> out so even broadcast radios with self contained antenna work poorly if
> at all. And that includes cell phones.

One other thing to keep in mind is the digital Internet packages offered
by most of the big players. Cingular and Verizon are two of the best.
With these, you don't dial any ISP number, but use the call carrier as
an ISP. With some of these plans, you can get phone calls while you are
online. One thing though is that most of these plans don't work while
roaming, so you'd need to make sure you had the digital coverage where
you needed it.

Taking the signal issue a step farther, there are dedicated cellular
modems available for most of the big carriers that run 3 watts or more
and are designed for use with external antennas. These work many
magnitudes better than either cell phones used as modems or "air cards"
plugged into PCMCIA slots on laptops. These modems are typically cigar
box sized and can be mounted out of sight. Some have Ethernet ports, all
have either serial or USB ports (usually both). They're easy to set up
and easy to use. All can be used with omnidirectional outside antennas
as well as directional antennas for additional range.

The difference in coverage using these is astonishing compared to the
typical hand-held cellphone. They don't however do phone calls (most
don't anyway.)

I am in the process of rolling out about 1500 public safety units right
now using a modem from Sierra Wireless on the Cingular high-speed GPRS
EDGE network.

The cost of a dedicated modem is lots higher than using a hand-held
cellphone either in dial-up or digital ISP mode, so you'd have to make
sure that you could justify the additional cost. But the performance is
really something.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060