[VAL] RE: 1967-68 Type 2 & 3 Phillips/Corning window issue

Hi Forrest,

Steve Hingtgen suggested I write you to see if you could possibly shed
some light on why my glass bar won't come out of my '67 Safari.  I am
at the point where I have removed all screws from the inside of my
glass bar and well as the clip and am able to swing itout at a 90
degree angle.  When I apply pressure from the outside in to get the
bar out nothing seems to happen.  I don't want to force anything, so I
have stopped.  Steve said you did this before and encountered some
issues at the same point.  Do you have any hints on my next step?

Thanks!  Diane

-----Reply------

Hi Diane,

I take it there is no glass attached to the bar, and that the inside
portion of the bar has been removed, leaving only the outer portion of
the bar that hinges to the window frame? If so, you could if you want
install your new piece of glass without removing the hinged portion of
the bar. I talked with someone at International that has a 1968 with
the type three window. His hinged bar can not be removed. In fact I
took some photos of it and it would seem to be that way. He installed
four or five new pieces of glass from Steve by leaving the hinged bar
in place. It wasn't easy, but that's what he did. He is happy with the
results however.

Even if you got the hinged portion of bar off you might regret it.
Putting it back on could be more difficult than getting it off. Then
you'd be up the creek w/o the paddle. On my type 1 bar, which is one
piece, I had so much difficulty getting a large window back onto the
hinge that I actually had to grind some of it away. The body of an old
Airstream tends to squat around the middle where the hinges are
creating a curved surface. This distorts the window frame so that it
isn't straight. When I mounted the new glass in the bar, I
straightened the bar to get the glass to fit in the grove. Then the
bar wouldn't fully engage the hinged portion of the window frame. I
think the largest windows all have this problem to a certain extent,
but it is not nearly as noticeable on the smaller windows.

Forrest