Re: [VAL] towing caravel with mid-60's muscle car

Alan,

While not exactly your question, I do have experience towing my "large for
vintage" 26 foot Overlander with large vintage Mopars. A '65 Imperial with a
413, A '73 Newport with a 400, and a '73 New Yorker with a 440. None of
these cars came with a towing package or the correct rear end ratios. While
not spectacular, they all did the job. I am told by those that know more
than I that the '73s had unibody, while the '65 has a frame, but don't know
that for sure. The most difficult part was finding a welder to make the
hitch who knew his stuff and was confident in his work.

My advise for you is to first find someone that is willing to fabricate the
correct hitch for your car and the trailer it is going to pull.

Second, make sure that the mechanicals of the car are in tip top shape.
Engine, transmission, and COOLING. Add a tranny cooler. If you can fit a
larger radiator under the hood do so. Can you get a larger fan? Towing is
hard work and if your car runs a little hot without a trailer it will boil
over with a trailer. Seems to me that your weak link will be the two speed
tranny so give it extra attention.

Scott