[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V2 #307

Hi David,

I have a '72 Carefree awning on my '65 Globetrotter.  Mine is attached
with 3.5" lag bolts in the banana wrap area, something shorter in the
mid-point location.  I'll have to get back to you on those lengths.
We just did a 7600 mile trip with the GT and two of the bolts backed
themselves out.  One just disappeared (mid-point attach), the other
had eroded to about half it's width with almost no threads (banana
wrap attach).

Mine does NOT have a plastic cap on the tube so I'm guessing your
awning might be newer than '72.  Mine is a cast aluminum cap on each
end of the tube.

Carefree still supports this although they'll tell you the torsion
springs are no longer available -- I purchased a new awning from them
this year.  I'm guessing they're on a two week shutdown?  I'd wait a
week and try back.

I dealt with Kathy Ross at the factory.  I don't want to generate spam
for her so remove the spaces and replace the symbols.  K Ross at
carefreeofcolorado dot com

As for material width, it just needs to be about 2" shorter for each
side.  My suggestion is that once you have it assembled measure the
actual EXPOSED track that the material could sit in and order it
exactly 4" shorter than that width.

For winding it was a two person job.  We had the awning fully
assembled and extended, then removed a top cap from one side arm (one
at a time), turned 10 turns and then re-installed the cap.  Turns out
we had to do each side again, adding 2 additional turns to get it so
it still had some tension as it neared the end of the roll up.

Leo
'65 Globetrotter
WBCCI# 6006