Re: [VAL] CA to CO route advice

Hi Rob & Sadie:

   About 7 years ago I took US 50 from Salinas, UT to Carson City, NV
and on to Sacramento.  I recommend you fill up whenever you can on US 50
across Nevada and western UT.  Gas stations are frequently spaced 100 to
110 miles apart.  I never ran out of gas but was on fumes as I rolled
into one gas station (but carried insurance in the form of two 5 gallon
gas containers, which I never had to use).  I made the trip in a 1968
Dodge 1 ton 4X4 that got 8 mpg towing a small pickup bed trailer.  It
was slow going up some of the hills, but I always reached the top and
gained some speed on the downhill side.

    Here are some options once you reach Colorado.  US 50 from Grand
Junction to Montrose then Gunnison is fine.  Monarch Pass is 11,312
feet, which may be about the same elevation as Eisenhower Tunnel (can't
find an elevation for the tunnel).  Monarch Pass is two lanes up and one
lane down; it may be slow going but is no big deal, just take your time.

    After descending Monarch Pass, a more direct route to the
campgrounds would be to:

   -turn north at Poncha Springs onto 285 north, then
   -turn east at Johnson Village onto US 24/285 east, then
   -turn east on US 24 towards Hartsel just after descending from
unnoticeable Trout Creek Pass, then
   -stay on US 24 into Manitou Springs and Colorado Springs.

A less hilly route is your original one, following US 50 through Salida
along the Arkansas River towards Pueblo.  Taking Colo. Rt. 115 from
Penrose to Colorado Springs would save a few miles.

    Another option is to stay East on I-70 until Minturn then take US 24
over Tennessee Pass (10,424') to Leadville, then follow 24 down river
through Buena Vista to Johnson Corners, Hartsel & Colorado Springs.  Or
continue southeast and pick up 50 at Salida and follow the Arkansas
River as you originally planned.  There is some exposure (steep drop
offs from your lane) where 24 becomes a two lane narrow shelf road
between Minturn and Red Cliff, so if you get nervous in such situations,
take another route.  Its easy sailing after that.

   We all look forward to meeting you and hearing about the route you
finally choose.

Warm Colorado Regards,

Fred Coldwell