Vanessa Re: [VAL] Re: Towing without and Equalizing hitch

Vanessa,

Who manhandles hitch bars?  I've got the Equal-i-zer setup which includes
12,000# equalizer bars for our 1995 34' Airstream Classic Front Kitchen
trailer.  The hitch ball is 2 5/16ths diameter with a rating of 14,000#, a
slightly *massive* hitch-head and a new 18" long receiver bar to which the
tow-head attaches.

On our Airstream we also have a 3,000# electric jack.  This strong jack will
literally lift the front of the trailer *and* the rear of our Ford Excursion
4x4 Powerstroke Diesel tow vehicle.

When I hitch up the trailer I simply align the ball with the hitch, lower
the trailer, lock the hitch coupler, then I use the 3,000# electric jack to
raise the entire rear of the Excursion *and* the nose of the trailer until I
can simply place the equalizer bars onto their holders.  Once in place I put
in the 'L' pins and the locking pins and then I lower the trailer and
continue to raise the jack until it automatically stops in the fully raised
position.

My wife can do what I do with our Airstream, no manhandling whatsoever.

I am not a fan of using cheater bars for more leverage ... I use the hitch
jack to do the work as it's recommended to do so.

If you did as we do you will not be straining in the least.  In fact, with
the equipment I've got installed hooking up is easy, very easy.

Tom Meeker
WBCCI 5303