[VAL] 71 soverign electric brakes and getting one reaady to tow

I recently purchased a 71 soverign to go with our (work in progress) 59 Avion.
I am going to pick it up but wondered if anyone had experience with checking
out the brakes and electric brake round 7 pin Bargman? hook ups  The dealers
say I need a 7 pin Bargman,  need to rewire the present cable from the air
stream, and need to install a Mechanical braking switch inside the cab of the
jeep Cherokee to safely pull it home.  I don't mind rewiring the trailer
lights to the present round conectior on the jeep but do I really need a
manually operated switch installed to be able to brake safely?  I thought when
you stepped on the brakes in the jeep that would apply the trailer brakes too.
Not So?  Any suggestions?  I down loaded the brake info and the schematic and
some basic trailering info but the braking system is not transparent to me.
Thanks for suggestions.  Steve Travis