Re: [VAL] Re:Camping World & A/C drain pans.

Vanessa, you wrote, "I am a little supprised by the comotion about C/W and
A/C drain pans. I my 20 years of RVing I never even heard of an A/C drain pan.
If you don't want a little water trick down the side of your trailer, what do
you do when it rains? Are you concerned about the condensor run off leaking
into the roof vent? I have never had that problem. Please clue me in!"
The problem is that water from the A/C running down the side of the trailer
takes the same path all the time, and that will leave discoloration just in
that one area. It's not a problem if you don't care much about the exterior
cosmetic condition, but if you have spent considerable time and money to
polish the exterior then you might not want it ruined by condensation. Rain
water on the other hand pretty much wets the exterior evenly, and while it
may accelerate oxidation on the aluminum at least it will be somewhat uniform.
Also, rain water is soft water, and tends not to spot. Perhaps this is all
too anal, but that is why Airstream puts drain tubes in its trailers. The
drain pan everyone is talking about not only collects condensant, but it
also acts as kind of a saddle for the Penguin A/C to sit on. When other brands
are installed without the custom drain pan the installer actually distorts
the roof of your Airstream. Why? Because A/C companies all make their
products to fit SOB of RV, all with flat roofs. An A/C installed without
the drain pan will create a flat spot on your curved Airstream roof. Water
will then collect in and around that flat spot and will promote leaking.
Forrest