Re: [VAL] Just a general question about awnings . . .

Greetings Joy!

> I have a 1974 Argosy 22 has a past use awning on the curb
side that needs  replacement.  Tried to look at Camping
World, but the near $1000 cost makes  me want to try some
much less expensive.  Does anyone know of an economical
replacement?

As long as the awning arms are still in good condition, most
of the awning manufacturers sell either replacement fabric
or replacement fabric with a new roller tube.  Either option
is considerably less expensive than a new awning.  Unless
things have changed tremendously in the past few years,
Camping World won't be much help with a new awning for an
Airstream or Argosy as about the only manufacturer that
makes the side arms with the proper curvature for the
Vintage Airstream and Argosy coaches is ZipDee -- I finally
gave up on my Overlander's A & E Travel Awn 5000 when it
became impossible to purchase replacement parts for the
awning arm assemblies, and purchased a new ZipDee.  If your
awning happens to be other than a ZipDee, Camping World may
be able to assist in obtaining either the replacement fabric
or fabric and roller tube.

Another option would be to have a local awning shop create a
new fabric panel using your existing hardware.  In some
cases, this gives you more fabric choices than the
manufacturer as well as a cost savings in some cases.

> At present, I must tie a rope to each arm to pull the
awning down as I don't  have help to do the task.  Seems
that there should be a tape  in the center  to equalize the
pull and extend the awning.  Is this something that may have
 broken loose many years ago?

Every permanently mounted awning that I have seen included a
center pull strap (either canvas or synthetic material) that
could be reached from the ground with an awning "pull-hook".
 I know replacements are readily available from ZipDee for
their awnings, but would assume that the same would be true
for the other major manufacturers who were producing awnings
for our Vintage Airstream products.

>> Regards, Joy T Brew
>  '74 22 Argosy,
>  '69 Safari

Good luck with your projects!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers/Computer Club #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEC/4.10 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado
Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)