Re: [VAL] Tensioning a Xip Dee Awning

Hi Dave -
I have a manual from Zip Dee dated 1966. I'll relay the info on tensioning
the spring, minus the cheesy illustrations.

"Instructions for Winding the Torsion Spring
While supporting the awning as shown in fig. 5, remove the rear main arm,
allowing spring to unwind to neutral position. (fig. 5 depicts a person
holding the awning on their right shoulder and a second person holding the
rear awning head. The actual awning arm is still attached to the trailer at
the bottom). The single torsion spring is wound by turning the head casting
clockwise (facing forward), using a steel support arm bar as a lever. Insert
the bar into the head and secure it in place with 1 1/2" bolt, lockwasher
and cap nut. Be sure the bar is all the way into the head so the bolt holes
align. Wind the spring using the guide below, add or deduct two turns per
foot for sizes not shown.

17 foot awning - 28 turns
19 foot awning - 31 turns
21 foot awning - 34 turns

After winding, slide the main arm tube onto the bar with the end of the bar
facing away from the coach. The swing the assembled arm to the coach and
bolt onto hinge. Now test the spring tension and adjust accordingly. The
awning should not start to roll up until you give the roller a swift
starting push upward. 12 to 24 inches of fabric may have to wind up around
the roller before the spring takes over. Because of variations in spring
temper, you may have to add or deduct a few turns to reach the right
balance."

Do not attempt this by yourself. I put an awning on my Trade Wind and it
will take two strong folks to wind the spring.

Email me off list if you have add'l questions.

Brad Norgaard
Phoenix
'59 Trade Wind Twin
VAC #2699, TCT