[VAL] Shocking decision

We are replacing the old, original, Henschen Dura-Torque axles on our
dual-axle '73 Safari with new Dexter Torflexes. The Dexters are pretty
much direct replacements except for some repositioning of the bolt
holes and the absence of brackets for shock absorber attachment. I'm
trying to figure out the best way to address the shock issue and would
appreciate any input--whether experienced advice or idle speculation!
The options appear to be:

1. Have a good welder remove the brackets from the old axles and weld
them onto the new. The Dexter rep tells me that, although welding is
obviously a no-no on the axle itself (double trouble rubber bubbles),
it's OK on the spindle arm, with care. This is obviously the
closest-to-original thing to do. The negatives are that I have to find
that good welder; that there is, still, always the chance of a welding
mistake; that, due to some differences between the spindle arms, the
original brackets would actually have to be modified in order to
replicate the original positioning; and that it involves some
additional cost.

2. Design and fabricate new bolt-on brackets. These would essentially
clamp around the spindle arms and is something that, with patience, I
can handle myself. This is inexpensive and I could actually enjoy
working it out. Downsides: not quite as "sanitary"; some added unsprung
weight (but the Dexters are about 40#, each, lighter than the Henshens,
so...); possibly more frustrating and time-consuming than I anticipate.

3. Forget the shocks. Among the advertised advantages of the Dexter
Torflexes are "self-damping action" and "less transfer of road shock
which insulates cargo from road shocks and vibration"--the reason they
don't provide a shock mounting option is that they are generally
applied w/o shocks. Yet Henshen uses the same basic technology and
design, and Airstream adds shocks. Is that just overkill? PR icing on
the cake? Adding shocks obviously *somewhat* reduces repetitive
up-and-down movement of the trailer, but we're not talking here about
ride quality from the standpoint of passenger comfort (no passengers).
FWIW, the Henshens were rated @ 2600# ea, the Dexters @ 3500# ea (they
are designed for a range of 2300-3500#); our Safari's curb wt is 4040#
with 3450# on the axles and a GVWR of 5800# . The possible issues are
long-term damage to trailer or contents and road handling--things that
are supposedly adequately addressed by the axles alone. Are Airstreams
"different"? The advantages to this option are obvious: cheap, clean,
no shocks to maintain, and *simple* (Ocham would love it).

TIA,

Rob