RE: [VAL] Tires

Dave,

I know the discussion may have made you and others nervous about tires, but
load range E is overkill because you should not trailer with 95 lbs. of air
in them. The owner's manual for your single axle 1960 Airstream likely
recommends 45 lbs. pressure and that is the pressure you should stay close
to. Just because you use a tire capable of pressurizing to 95 does not mean
that you should. The tire will not track properly as without the load to
flatten out the tread on the road surface an overpressurized tire will have
a much reduced foot print and will tend to skate around. This could result
in a jack knife should you encounter any slick surface, such as oil on the
roadway. You can use load range E, but stay very close to the owner's manual
recommended tire pressure. I've used E rated tires on my tow vehicle and
found that even a slight amount of over-pressurization reduces traction and
increases wander. Also, if the tires on your trailer are over-pressurized it
will be rough on the trailer as none of the road shock will be absorbed by
the tires due to the fact that there will be no flex at all in the side
walls. That in itself can also lead to increased tire failure if the tires
come into contact with sharp objects such as jagged rocks.

Forrest