Re: [VAL] Re: Tankless Water Heater

Plumbing codes (and plumbers) can be a bit obtuse. Often to keep the
pressure up on a long hot water run they will go for a 3/4" pipe and
then put a flow restrictor faucet and shower head at the end.

43.5 feet of 3/4 pipe holds a gallon of water and when you want hot, it
all is wasted, then that gallon gets to cool before you need hot water
again.

Ideally (if the power company or the gas meter can stand the possible
peak loads) one needs a tankless heater for each point that uses hot
water. The closer to the faucet or tub the better.

I'll be using a conventional tank type heater in my new place to avoid
the peak loads and it will be located next to the laundry equipment, 8'
from the bathroom. The kitchen sink will be maybe 25 feet of pipe away.
I figure on a 5 or 6 gallon heater under the kitchen sink to provide
near instant hot water. I'll put an extra insulation jacket on it so it
doesn't loose all that much energy to the surroundings. The small
"mobile home" heater is 1/5 the cost of a tankless heater and won't have
cooled much before hot water from the main heater (in insulated copper
pipes) arrives.

They do sell water circulation pumps to constantly move warm water to
the distant bathroom. One I saw on a TV show used the cold water pipe as
the tepid water return line. An energy waster if there ever was one
because it moves hot water out into the pipe to cool. Then what if you
want COLD water. The cold pipe is full of tepid water... A double
looser.

Gerald J.