Re: [VAL] Airstream Logo

Hi Anne:

    Airstreams are at the opposite end of the "restoration guide"
information scale from model T's.  There is not much available
information out there on old Airstream trailers, but we are slowly
gathering it.

    I do not know the answer to your question: whether the "Globe
Trotter" script was different in color or shape in 1962 than 1964.  It
looks the same on 1962 and 1964 Ohio built trailers, where the model
name was mounted horizontally above the serial number plate.

    The upward angle at which the "Globe rotter" script is mounted
(likely forward of the door) on your '62 tells me your have a California
built trailer.  The presence of a Calif. Division of Housing plaque next
to your serial number plate should confirm your trailer's Calif. origin.
  I suspect the Calif. "Globe Trotter" script is the same as Ohio name
script, but I don't know that for a fact.  However, it the "T" fits, use
it.

    1962 was the 30th Anniversary for Airstream trailers, but that
doesn't help me guess whether the factory or a former owner painted your
name script gold (as opposed to pearl).

    I doubt you will ever find a NOS "Globe Trotter" script because I
doubt the factory ever offered any name script as a replacement part.
You will likely only find name script on an old trailer.  So if you
found a GT script, I'd grab it while you can and worry about improving
it later.  Or just make and insert a "T", whichever seems best for you.

Congratulations on your "new" trailer!

Best regards,

Fred Coldwell
VAC Archive Historian