Re: [VAL] water heater - tankless

Hi Tom,

We installed a tankless heater. It has been the best investment in our 66
Tradewind, translating to endless hot water availability when hooked up to
utilities. We installed a Precision Temp 500 in 1999 and have had nearly
flawless operation. I say nearly because when it gets real cold and wet out
in late and early season adventures, its possible for the control board box
to be affected by condensation causing the system to "misfire" hence no hot
water with all systems green. This has happen twice in 6 years and all I
have done is take the board out of the box and let it dry out. Now even
though that board is potted, somehow the moisture must be affecting the
values of the components and with this being a very intermittant problem I
haven't taken the time to investigate furthur.

The coils for the precision temp essentially sit outside the heated space of
the trailer in its own box and keeps the flame from the heating manifold
contained. Because of this, the coils and supply and return pipes are
exposed to outside elements. So when use is intended for cold weather it is
recommended to purchase the cold weather kit, which is nothing more than a
120v pipe wrap kit. We have not used the trailer in the dead of winter for
traveling with a full load of water and I have often wondered how cold it
will have to get before that coil will freeze with water in it.

I suppose, that I could install an inverter if I were to do that kind of
traveling but for now all we do is a couple of weeks in Florida from New
Hampshire, so we'll just travel dry till we get below the Mason / Dixon.

Later

WAM and Lin
VAC/WBCCI/WDCU 15116