Re: [VAL] Aftermarket "chips" for trucks

Dave, I'm not very familiar with power chips for gasoline powered vehicles.
I own a Ford Excursion 4x4 with the Powerstroke Diesel engine of the
7.3-liter variety for which lots of power chips are made.

There is a big difference though between the types of computer chips used in
diesel engines compared to gasoline engines.  With a diesel you can pack
more air into the engine and still "light it off" with the same amount of
diesel fuel as temperature is the key to ignition.  In gasoline engines you
still need the proper ratio of fuel to air mixture to ignite the fuel; too
much air and it won't light, too much fuel and it won't light as it will
"flood" the intake.

I love diesel engines of today as you can play with the power settings for
more top end speed, more low end torque, more this or less that.  Even the
shift points can be tweaked but that's probably true for gasoline engines as
far as that goes.

Ever given much thought to getting a diesel powered tow vehicle?  I get
great mileage with the Excursion pulling the 34' Classic FK we own and even
better with no trailer but fully packed inside which is really saying
something for a vehicle that weighs almost 9,000# at that point.

Tom Meeker
WBCCI 5303