Re: [VAL] tire balance

Spin balancing on the axle is truly best, but most truly hardest to
find. The computer balancers most tire shops use today require virtually
no skill to use and take just a few seconds. I have trailer and truck
wheels they can't balance because the center opening of the wheel is too
large. I've spent an afternoon with weights, tape and much patience
statically balancing my utility trailer tires and drums. The difference
while towing was dramatic, until the used weights came off the rims. I
didn't try to hold them on permanently with tape, just long enough to
pick the size and location of the weights.

When spin balancing on the axle, its important to mark the rim location
with paint stripes so it can be put back in the same position when taken
off for minor work. Patching a tire will destroy the balance so that
work doesn't make the marking so critical.

When drums are a part of the unbalance, tire rotation also requires new
spin balancing.

Not only are the tools for spin balancing virtually antique, the skills
required are mostly gone. Since truck rims don't fit on most of the
computer balance machines, it may be that a truck repair shop may have
the spin balancing capability.

Gerald J.