[VAL] Re: LED lamps

I love LEDs, but my personal opinion is that they can
still be tricky to use for general illumination.  But,
as Dr. J said, the rate of new product introduction is
amazing.  White LEDs are now available in ratings up
to 5 watts!  But, they tend to be very tightly
focused, and some don't like the color/spectral
output.

You may be pleased to know that halogen bulbs provide
some of the highest efficiencies obtainable for
general illumination purposes.  Next time you're in
the home improvement store, compare the output (in
lumens) of standard and halogen bulbs of identical
wattage.  The difference can be dramatic.  Small
halogen bulbs are available in all sorts of
configurations.  Just make sure to use lower wattages
if your goal is power savings.

BTW-further improvements can be made with improved
reflectors.  You can also upgrade (or just remove)
yellowed or opaque lenses.

Jon in SC
68 Overlander