Re: [VAL] Is this another way of accessing the frame for repairs?

What you see on the rear of that Airstream trailer outside of the rear trunk
door is the infamous "elephant ear patch".  This type of patch was installed
after access to the rear frame was gained by removing rivets, cutting the
skin, etc. The skin would have had to been replaced if it wasn't cut out
because you can't bend aluminum sheet metal and have it look like it was
never touched.

These elephant ear patches are a sign that a proper repair was done to help
the trailer not sag OR to fix a sagging rear end.

I'd be looking for popped rivet heads on the *inside skin*, wrinkled skin on
the exterior from the wheelwell back, AND I'd be looking for ANY sign of
weakness or separation of the body from the rear bumper locker which houses
the stinky slinky, etc.

Are you thinking of buying this one?  These pictures should be saved by
ANYONE who is thinking of ever buying a vintage Airstream trailer -- they
shout "look at me!  I've been repaired!"

Tom Meeker
WBCCI 5303