Re: [VAL] plans for new Airstream motorhomes

I have given thought to your points and you would certainly need extra
support.  In fact, making a pop-top Airstream would require quite a bit of
extra reinforcement, maybe to the extent of making the ribs out of
extrusions rather than "formed" aluminum done in a stamping process.

I would love to see an Airstream trailer made that did *not* require the use
of an interior skin that today helps the integrity of the unit as a whole as
we know it.  It really would be possible to use extruded ribs, the type used
on aircraft today, to bear the load along with one gauge thicker aluminum
skin like the older trailers were made of in years gone by.

While we are at it I'd also like to see Airstream go BACK to using "clad
aluminum" so that the owners of newer trailers could also have them highly
polished as are lots of the vintage trailers we see now and then.  Airstream
isn't using a "clad aluminum" today, too bad for us who have to "settle" for
a dull finish compared to the shiny, mirror-like look of the older vintage
trailers.

Anyone hear have Airstream's ear so we can put a bug in there to beg, plead,
etc. with them so they go BACK to using "clad aluminum"?  The clad aluminum
does more than look good, it also provides corrosion resistance if you
decide not to polish it with a very thin coating of oxidation which in turn
protects the metal from the environment.

Tom Meeker
WBCCI 5303