RE: [VAL] Re: Door knob

On my first test ride down I-5 after restoring my 1966 Safari, I pulled out
of Ashland, Oregon and had not learned to lock the safety lock as well as
lock the door when traveling.  The door flew open and banged shut.  I went
to a local lock smith that just happened to have a shiny new door knob that
he had ordered for a customer who never picked it up.

Unlike the original equipment, which was a latch, this is a round knob, but
it has the same functionality.

My point is that it is vital to make sure the older coaches have some sort
of dead bolt installed that will allow lock and unlock from inside or
outside (key outside would be best).  We just can't rely on the tiny
connection between the lock and the slot in the door frame to take the bumps
and grinds of travel, especially off-highway.

Bob Kiger
www.cruiserbob.com
www.videography.org
Oceanside, CA