[VAL] Building a head door

    All,

    I'm thinking of replicating the hinged bi-fold head door in my '69
Caravel. The original blond birch in the rest of the interior was stained a
dark, grain-masking brown and I managed to get enough off with acetone on a
rag that the grain reappeared.  It looks pretty nice now with two coats of
marine satin interior varnish on it except for the blond, Formica head door.
It's a thin Formica-like material that now clashes with the darker interior
wood.

    What is that stuff called, where can it be found and are there as many
choices of color and wood grain as with thicker Formica?  Is it indeed
Formica but a thinner grade?

    I feel that I can simply replicate a pair of new doors by simply copying
the design of the frame structure quite easily.  Any pitfalls to be aware
of?  I've worked with Formica before a little bit so pretty much know what
to expect.

    Thanks,

Glyn Judson
1969 Caravel #508