Re: [VAL] Counter seperating from wall

Hi Bob,

There are many things that can cause the condition you observe.  One is that
the floor is rotted along the cabinet area -typical front back of the wheel
well and possibly the refrigerator opening if on the same side.  This allows
the bottom of the monocoque to bow out with pressure.  The longer it exists,
the worse it will get.  While the front base of the cabinets is screwed to
the floor, the top back of the cabinet is screwed into the aluminum skin and
the screws seldom hit the aluminum frame.  Vibration wears the aluminum to a
point where the screw no longer hold.  Most all furniture is secured to the
wall in this manner.

Most likely, unless you repaired the floor and replaced the sheet metal
screws that hold the base of the monocoque to the floor, the problem could
be a combination of both conditions.  If the floor is secure, you can lift
the counter (a PITA), and put new screws where they will do some good.  I
found the screw problem when I stripped the interior of my '69 Safari.

My Argosy was fixed by a previous owner by caulking.  The outer skin profile
definitely shows the monocoque movement out of alignment.  Haven't got
around-to-it and may abandon the Argosy as it has too many defects to effect
restoration.

Just my experience - your mileage may vary,

                                                 '69 Safari, Joy