Re: [VAL] To Join or not to join.

After printing and reading Daisy's email, I have this to say:  Why
expect the benefits of a club if you don't join, I belong to the Lincoln
and Continental Owners Club, I would not think of attending one of their
events and expect to be welcomed if I was not a member, why should
someone expect to attend an Airstream Club rally if they were not a
member?  When we purchased our Safari in August, 2002, we joined the
WBCCI but did not know what to do about joining a unit so we joined as
members at large (cost $15 extra, in lieu of unit dues).  We are in
Southern California, it was easy to determine that we are in Region 12
(California and Nevada) but there are 14 units in Region 12, I knew that
Monterey Bay, Nevada, Northern California, San Joaquin, Santa Clara and
Sierra Nevada were not close but what about Golden West, Long Beach, San
Bernardino (now El Camino Real), San Diego, San Fernando, South Coast,
Southern California and Tri County units.  I could not find out where
these units were located or why I should join one as opposed to
another.  We attended the Vintage Rally in Santa Maria and decided to
transfer from Member at Large to the San Bernardino (now El Camino Real)
unit.  We have attended several unit rallies and felt welcome at all of
them.  We will attend the South Coast Unit rally the beginning of March
because it is close and on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (still working
and can't use all my vacation on rallies).  I investigated this unit
because of a conversation with Uwe and he said he belonged, now I know
where the South Coast unit is.  We will continue to belong to the El
Camino Real unit and attend their rallies.  We plan; on attending the
Northern California Sacramento Jazz Rally, which we first heard about at
the Santa Maria Vintage Rally, and then go to the Grants Pass Rally,
which we first heard about at the Death Valley Rally sponsored by the El
Camino Real Unit over Veterans Day weekend.

It is always more enjoyable to be somewhere with friends rather than
being alone.  One real advantage to attending a rally is that someone
else has planned the location and what to do, all you have to do is show up.

As much as I hate Mission Statements, I believe that somewhere in the
WBCCI  information and on the website there should be an explanation of
what the units are for and each unit should have a short explanation of
what their goals are and where there are located.

By the way, Daisy, are you coming to Salem, OR in 2006?

Bill Kerfoot
WBCCI/VAC #5223
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon
1977 Lincoln Continental