RE: [VAL] Springfield to I-81 in Virginia

Greetings Paul!

If you decide to take I-64 and want to take a more leisurely path to
Springfield, you can turn South on I-57 at Mt. Vernon, IL and about 155
miles later you will be in Sikeston, Missouri where you can access US 60 and
an easy drive to Springfield.  US 60 is a very nice improved highway that
while considered secondary, bypasses the vast majority of the small towns -
- but each one is well marked and quite accessible.  If your Travelall is
anything like my '75 Cadillac Eldorado, you will appreciate that gas
stations are accessible and many are arranged to be friendly to vehicles
towing trailers.  The traffic is much lighter along this route and many
stretches have been recently overhauled - - there may be a few stretches of
construction, but they are no worse that what might be encountered on any of
the other approach routes.  There are a few hills and curves, but only one
grade of any significance.

There is a very nice campground just about 3 miles from Lamberts Cafi on US
62 in Sikeston.  Your three year old daughter would probably be entertained
by the atmosphere at Lamberts Cafi if you have never been there before - -
where else can you go where it is socially acceptable for someone (one of
the servers) to throw hot dinner rolls at the guests??  This restaurant has
been one of my favorites for over 30 years (they are in their third new and
larger location since I first learned about the cafi) - - they also have a
location not too far from Springfield, but Sikeston is where Lamberts was
founded.  Lamberts also has RV parking in a large lot beside the restaurant.

Good luck with your plans!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359