Re: [VAL] '63 Overlander New Axle with Disc Brakes

Dear Joann,

2 main concerns for wanting to install new axles with
disc brakes for my situation are:

1, Smoother stopping, less brake fade. My trailer will
be in the 6000lb range, and towed with a 1/2 ton
Suburban. I want better brakes than my 71 tradewind
with new axles and electric drum brakes has.
2, balance issues.  Electric trailer brake drums are
very heavy and inherently out of balance by a fair
amount. Trailer parts are typically not very refined
or well engineered. Electric brake drums are a prime
example of this. 4 brake drums that are out of balance
by 1/3 of a pound will eventually cause structural
problems. I have observed black rings under cans in my
cupboard, for example, a sign of vibration and
movement in the can. This disappeared after I had my
brake drums and wheels balanced as a unit. I had loose
interior panels and other signes of excessive
vibration as well. The sock in my gas lamp now
actually lasts through 1/2 a season instead of 1/2
mile.
Disc brakes have much better balance, as they are
lighter and don't have all their weight in the outer
circumference, but inside near the hub. The spinning
mass is less prone to cause imbalance, and the overall
construction/machining is much cleaner, therefore
being naturally at an advantage.
I will ost a full report once my trailer has a few
miles on it with teh new axles and disc brakes. Right
now i am hoping that this will remedy the shortcomings
of trailer drum brakes with electric actuation.
I do not think the stopping power is much of an issue
in a 3000lb trailer towed with a decent truckm but the
balancing issues are just the same.
Cheers,
Uwe Salwender
Orange CA