RE: [VAL] '63 Overlander New Axle with Disc Brakes

Jo ann,
Don't get too paranoid over the negative talk about electric trailer brakes.
The biggest performance issue with electric drum brakes is the fact that
they have different fade characteristics than disc brakes (ie they start to
fade much faster than the disc brakes on tow vehicle).  Normally this is
negligible, but during hard or panic stops the fade difference can move the
equation from one of a hard stop to a white knuckle experience depending on
the speed from which the stop is made.  Hydraulic disc brakes are just
superior to ANY drum brake and that is why all vehicles have them today.  We
have a 4500# (gross weight), 2002 Bambi and with my Jordan controller
properly adjusted, I can tell when the brake fade causes the trailer to
change from leading to lagging in deceleration force.  I investigated
switching our Bambi to disc hydraulic brakes over a year ago and have yet to
make the change, but in time I will do so only to provide the largest margin
of safety possible.  But remember, electric drum brakes have been in use for
over 40 years and have a solid safety record, but that does not mean that
there is not something better.

David