Re: [VAL] '63 Overlander New Axle with Disc Brakes

V.Dillon,
Several years ago I rebuilt an old car trailer that had hydraulic brakes
with a surge tongue. The hydraulic cylinder on the tongue was seized so I
decided to replace it. After a bit of web searching, I found
www.expediter.com who are an online trailer parts retailer located in
Florida. I called their tech dept  and discussed my problem. They suggested
I use an electro-hydraulic pump which allows you to retain the hydraulic
brake sytem but allows you to activate it using the comon brake controllers
used with electric brakes. The system is basically a high pressure 12 volt
hydraulic pump hooked up to the brake lines. The brake controller turns the
pump on, varying pressure to the brakes. It comes with a small gel cell
along with a break away switch so it activates the brakes should the trailer
come off the tow vehicle.  I have been very happy with the system and plan
to use another one on my 57 Sovereign of the Road. I think it cost around
$200 which included the small gel cell. When I use it in the Airstream
installation I will use the onboard house battery and save a bit on the gel
cell.
Hope this helps you out,
Colin
50 Limited