Re: [VAL] Surge Brakes

When my wife and I picked up our '56 Bubble in Delaware at the beginning of
its trip to California last spring it had only the original breakaway
hydraulic brake system and the lines were full of rust.  The brakes would
not have worked even for their intended emergency purpose.  Since we were
towing with our rather lightweight Toyota Tacoma, my wife insisted (and I
readily agreed) that we needed to somehow get brakes on the trailer before
we went very far.  Fortunately the next day we found Stewart Natof of the
Washington DC Unit of WBCCI.  Stewart, a Bambi owner and retired mechanical
engineer, led us to Contemporary Classics in Silver Spring, MD, a shop
which specializes in street rods and specialty cars.  Stewart and the shop
owner engineered a hydraulic brake retrofit for the Bubble.  The shop
dropped everything else they were working on and in two days we were on our
way west.  The original brake pads and drums were retained but the wheel
cylinders, stainless steel lines, and hydraulic actuator are new.  Our
original trailer coupler was sawed off and the actuator welded on in its
place.  The Atwood actuator features a mechanical lock-out feature for
backing up.  It works great and we made it to California without
incident.  Thanks Stewart!

Gary Meeker
WBCCI/VAC #3781
1956 Airstream Bubble