Re: [VAL] tambor

I had much the same situation, the only extant tambour in my
'73 was the skinny one under the sink.

I'm not sure that the new laminate that I bought is all that
great, but it seems to be wearing OK. I would be wary of
putting a new or extra backing on unless it was going to
stay flexible and not add much to the thickness of the tambour.

There are two enemies of tambour good behavior.

One is crud in the bottom track and coil of the horizontal
ones. I think the housing that mine had on them was a good
idea.

The other is incorrect installation, mostly how close or far
the the coils are appart and if they are stable and parallel
and perpendicular to the tambour. The credenza that I put
under my window, which was from another larger '73 has a
really long horizontal tambour. With cleaning and silicone,
it works just fine.

On the otherhand, repairing the one under the sink has been
a headache. It was certainly not designed to be easily
repaired. You just about have to take the whole thing appart
to do it. As a result, mine will open and close with coaxing
( and a few well chosen words..) but not well enought to use
on a regular basis. I'm pretty sure that the bottom coil is
not well supported.

However, the conveniance of no doors in the way is worth it
to me to keep on working with them.

I'm going to check for the lip that was mentioned to see if
that was broken.

You can buy replacement coils too.

Daisy