Re: [VAL] gathering info,fifth wheel

Indy,

If my antenna is tuned right, I get that you are somewhere in-between filthy
rich and churchmouse, probably in pretty good shape, but not in a position to
lay out cash on the table for a new Airstream without wincing a bit.

In my rarely humble opinion, I think your best bet would be to remain
ever-vigilant, tenacious and relentless in searching for a vintage 'Stream
which somebody else has already had restored and maintained professionally to
protect his 'investment', then died.

You can probably buy it from the heirs for less than what it's worth (they
just want the money quickly, to settle the whole mess) and a LOT less than it
would cost to hire professionals to do all the work from scratch.  It may
sound a bit ghoulish, but it works.

I've seen many a yacht, RV, trailer, house, etc., which have just been
completely overspent on, suddenly get sold in a hurry to satisfy younger
inheritors who want nothing to do with 'dad's obsession'.  Cash talks, and
often walks away with really good deals to the first one there, ready to
transact.

And the Airstream will hold it's value, probably go up, while the fiver will
just eventually shake itself to death on the road, NEVER again to be worth
what you pay for it in the first place.  As somebody else mentioned:  after a
while, the slideouts won't slide out, or worse...they won't slide back in when
you're getting ready to leave in the morning.  In the rain.

If you're really sold on the idea of the towability of a fifth wheel (it IS
true), you might consider that which a guy did a while back:  he wanted a
genset for his old Airstream, AND he already had the fifth wheel in the back
of his truck.  Being a welder/fabricator, he simply extended his frame
forward, to accommodate his Onan 6.5, then added a stout gooseneck and, by
George...an Airstream Fiver was born.  As far as I know, it worked like it was
factory made and he ended up with the best of both worlds...and a
one-of-a-kind trailer.

Hope that helped...it did ME anyway!

: J)

Mark in Modesto