[VAL] Re: Pearl

Hi Tim,

There are pictures of Pearl on Tom's web site. The list of improvements
is long. Short answer to your question:

Pearl had been in a campground storage lot for about 28 years. Trailers
built in the early 50's had no 12 volt system or waste water holding
tanks, she had the original 110 only hot water tank and fridge, no
tires, a non-working floor heater, no fresh water tank, the curb side
goucho had been removed along with the fold-out table, the floor was
partially carpeted and the remainder patched, and the toilet flushed to
the ground! (you used to dig a hole in the ground and position the
toilet over it!) BUT, all the windows and skins were in great shape
along with the frame. I brought her home from PA to Long Island in a
blinding rain storm with no working lights, no safety chains, no
trailer brakes, and new tires that were the wrong size. I had to go
straight to a trailer shop because the jack didn't work and the propane
lines were shot with no tanks and a tongue in poor shape. They replaced
the tires, electrical harness, jack and propane lines. One week later I
headed for Colorado for the Rocky Mt. VAC Rally having no idea the
extent of what all needed to be done!

After two weeks on the road my list of repairs was quite extensive! I
had an appointment at the Airstream Plant for one weeks worth of
repairs and stopped in Ohio on the way home. My appointment with the
service manager, Rick March, was one to remember! It ended with him
telling me they couldn't do any of the work and me crying like a baby
saying, if Airstream couldn't fix Pearl, who could? I think the crying
worked cause he softened up and when I offered to leave her at the
plant all winter he said he'd take the list and do whatever they could.
Whew! I left her there with my fingers and toes crossed.

Four months later they had done: all new electrical wiring, all new
plumbing, added two Fantastic Fans, air conditioner, propane fired hot
water heater and fridge, 12 volt system with batteries, fresh water
tank and pump, marine propane fireplace, new floor, replaced toilet and
shower fixtures, patio awning, door step, re-attached the front and
rear shell to the frame (had frame separation) front and rear
stabilizers, and most important a grey/black holding tank!!! The list
of small stuff is endless like making a pantry out of one of the
closets for me. I gotta tell you, the guys at the plant were wonder
workers!!! Rick emailed me weekly with updates and Wayne, the mechanic
doing most of the work called me every Fri. afternoon to tell me what
all had been done that week! I will be forever grateful for the
personal touch they added to Pearl. Without their determination to get
it all done I would never have been able to use Pearl the way I do -
7,800 mile trip last summer!

Patti