Re: [VAL] Shirley's Factory Tour Pictures

Hi Forrest,

What a wonderful post!

> Airstream and many of its dealerships have the same attitude toward the
> vintage folk (and VAC) as they do toward the WBCCI. >

If that's true, it's a shame.  As I don't have a vintage trailer I have not
seen that attitude.

> <The indignation is that Airstream is seen as an ingrate. Today, Airstream
> does not need us, but the WBCCI sure needs Airstream. Back when Wally was
> alive, Airstream wasn't just a business, it was a passion, and the WBCCI was
> an extension of the company, an example of the "Way of Life" that Wally and
> Airstream wanted to promote. Airstream continues to rest on that laurel to
> promote sales - just look at their sales brochure. Yet, the vast majority of
> customers who buy new Airstreams don't become members of the WBCCI, and
> Airstream isn't doing much to change that. So, even though we remain loyal
> to Airstream, it seems that Airstream sees us as superfluous. It is just
> business to them, nothing personal.>

I'm thinking that's because a whole new generation is buying Airstreams,
people who have nothing in common with the "old guard" and the pomp and
circumstance that go along with a WBCCI rally.  The beauty contests, the entertainment,
the meetings are all kind of old fashioned for the people who are buying, say
the CCDs for example.  They don't see the advantages of the camaraderie of the
club.

> <For instance, it's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), the
> president
> of Airstream, Dicky Riegel, didn't own an Airstream until well after Thor
> hired him to run the company. He may be an owner of one now, and may even
> have "the bug" now, but at least initially, he was put there not because of
> his passion for Airstreaming, but simply, and only for his business ability.>

That's true, he did not have an Airstream.  I'm not sure that's a problem,
Airstream is a business and has to account for the bottom line.  Heck, it seems
half the people in Jackson Center work for the company and they most likely
want a business man running it, not a passionate one. The only passion I worry
about it the passion to make the trailer as well as possible.... no leaks, good
fit and finish. Dickie is very receptive to input from owners which I think
it especially good, unlike the last person in charge.

> <It is hard to swallow the cold, dispassionate business mentality. Take the
> Airstream Company Homecoming event. As wonderful as it is, consider that
> just across and down the road from the company is WBCCI headquarters, yet
> the event is not a sanctioned WBCCI rally.>

I can understand that perfectly.  It was their party, I doubt they wanted all
the restrictions the WBCCI would have held them to.  I have to say after
going to four Internationals, five Sarasotas and some other rallies...the
Homecoming was the most fun one I've ever been to. The only ones that I've been to
that were comparable were the WDCU which isn't your typical WBCCI rally by any
stretch of the imagination.

< The executive of Airstream > however, continues to hold a position
> (non-voting, but never-the-less
> influential) on the WBCCI Board of Trustees. Many WBCCI and VAC members
> attend this event. While they are at the factory a number of them will have
> repairs and/or modifications made to their units.
> This benefits the Airstream Company, but what reciprocity is there (since
> I've yet to attend this company event, I am sincerely asking)?>

I suggest you attend one..... it really is fun!  It's my understanding that
Airstream was giving buyers a free year with the WBCCI, or was that the WBCCI
who was giving the free year?

In this day and age I wonder how much longer the WBCCI will be around.  Times
have changed, people have changed.... I love the social part of being a
member, but for people who don't care about that what is their incentive to join?

> <I actually know first hand that our vintage units help sell new Airstreams.
> There are members who first caught the Airstream bug by attending a vintage
> rally, but found out (through us) that a vintage unit was a lot of work and
> possibly even just as expensive as a new one in the long run.>

I'm sure that's true, but the fact that they were even at a vintage rally
shows an interest was there.  I'm really not trying to disagree, I'm just
thinking Tim Champ wasn't being critical of the vintage people when he said they
don't sell new trailers.  He's really a very nice guy, and smart as a whip, so I
doubt he would mean to alienate a large group of people.

> <I also feel that buying a used unit is okay for Airstream. Members often
> sell their older Airstream just so they can buy a new one, but that wouldn't
> happen if there wasn't a used market.>

Yeah, they shoot themselves in the foot building a trailer that lasts forever
<g>  Most companies build in planned obsolescence....

< Statistically, as they get older, many > WBCCI members eventually 'move up'
> to bigger and newer units. >

Interesting that you would phrase that as "moving up"  I know people who buy
the new motorhomes think they have moved up.... I think having a trailer is
moving up.

<The used (read > vintage) Airstream market serves to get customers feet wet,
> so to speak, and
> when they find they like it they eventually buy a new one.>

Really? I bet very few vintage owners on this list are looking forward to the
day when they can buy a new one. Look at Patti, she sold a new one for her
vintage one.

<> That is, how well can they project their future, when they don't even know
> their past?
> See Fred Coldwell's thread about the C-W Clipper at the Airstream factory as
> an example.>

That certainly is an unfortunate mistake.... I hope someone contacts Dickie
about it.

Thanks for a well written, well thought out post.

Hunter