[VAL] Re: Rivet Shaver

The following has worked well for me. (You need air, but for the cost
of a shaver you can get an adequate compressor--plus hose, die grinder
etc.--and when you're through shaving rivets you still tool that can be
adapted to PULL rivets, saw or nibble sheet metal, inflate tires....)

	1. Install the rivets and use diagonal cutters to clip the pull-stems
as close as possible.

	2. Make a shield to protect the adjacent skin in case of a slip during
step 3: cut a piece of Al sheet roughly the size of a tongue depressor;
drill a hole in one end, about 1/2 in dia and an inch or two in from
the end; bend the shield slightly in the middle so it will be easier to
hold the end with the hole against the skin; tape the "handle" if you
like. The shield should be just narrow enough so you can fit the hole
over one rivet without quite hitting the rivets on either side.

	3. Using the shield, shape the rivet heads with a small (2") blue
("fine") Roloc disc in a 90-degree air die grinder.

This requires a bit more care than a shaver (practice on scrap first),
but it's probably almost as fast, is a lot cheaper, and the results are
VERY good. You could mount the Rokoc in an electric drill but it would
be hard to handle and control. I've also used a Dremel but found it
less satisfactory: the best attachment I could find for the job was a
sanding drum, but that leaves a rougher finish (unless you go back over
with a polishing attachment), is harder to achieve a domed shape with,
and tends to kick off to the side more readily.

Rob