Re: [VAL] Goodyear Marathon blowouts

Hi All,

I've had Goodyear's on my Argosy for 2 years and put about 8K miles on them.
Always keep the pressure between 50 and 60 pounds.  Never a problem!  I tow
between 55 and 70 mph when necessary.  The Firestone tires on my Ford truck
are sound as I keep the pressure as recommended by the manufacturer.  If I
towed much at night, I'd opt for air pressure sensors in the tires.

I tried Carlisle's and the 4 new tires are on a shelf in my garage.  The
Carlisle are a full inch larger in diameter than the Goodyear.  Meaning that
the Carlisle drag against the wheel well! :(  For either brand, I read the
manufacture code and assured myself that the tires were less than 3 months
from manufacture.

I know that some haul the trailer with low tire pressure to soften the ride.
Seems like the Ford Explorer low pressure tires all over again.  Experienced
service persons might set the tires up with low pressure and send the owner
on his way.  Best to recheck the tire pressure on your own.

If tires fail within 100 miles, it seems that something is drastically
wrong.  Wrong air pressure, over weight in the trailer, combined with
excessive speed?

Might be all wet, but these are my experiences and I'm happy with Goodyear
Marathons!

                                                      '74 Argosy 22, Joy