Re: [VAL] Re-joining after a long absence...need advice! - Carlson heater and Bowen water heater

Thanks for the replies and advice guys.

I checked the flu on the Carlson. It's clean as a whistle. I decided to do what
I do best: dismantle.

With much swearing, I finally pried the furnace from the place it had occupied
since 1963. I had to cut the gas line so I could slide the unit out. Once I had
the thing apart out in the sunshine, everything looked pretty good. I was going
to bring it home and try to test it on my workbench...then I checked my email.

Herb, I wish you had replied sooner. I was running the furnace with the pilot
door open. Could that really be the culprit? When this thing shut off I heard a
distinct click. It seemed to me to be a mechanical shut off, not just the pilot
blowing out.

Should I fiddle with it now that it's out. or re-install it (with more swearing)
and try it with the pilot door closed?

Also, where can I get a thermo-coupler for the Bowen? Is it that skinny copper
wire that goes from the gas control box into where you light the pilot?

Thanks again...I'm not going to touch the water heater until I read my email
tomorrow!

Courtney