RE: [VAL] Bambi axle replacement

I would totally concur with Roy on the getting the strongest tire you can
find that will fit.  Also be aware of ply rating vs true ply.  For instance,
the Goodyear Marathon ST is a true 6-ply tire, but the Carlisle equivalent
that many retailers want to sell you is actually a 4 ply tire with a 6 ply
rating (and it is made in China).  I found this out when I replace the 2
Goodyear Marathons on our 2002 19' Bambi after one was ruined when a valve
stem failed.  Which brings up another matter, don't let the dealer talk you
out of installing 150PSI rated metal valve stems.  Even the cost is only a
couple of bucks, they may try to convince you that the rubber stems are
okay, but rubber stems that fit typical trailer rims have a max rating of
65PSI and if you check the loading rating vs pressure for most single axle
tires, you may find that as on our Bambi, that 65PSI is the recommended cold
inflation pressure for our rig.

David Tidmore