RE: [VAL] Bambi axle replacement

Greetings Wally!

<< I need some info and advice on an axle replacement for a '63 Bambi.
It's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that there is not a
current Henschen replacement for the original Bambi axle.  It seems that
the Dexter Torflex is the axle of choice for this replacement.  Has
anyone done this?    For anyone who has installed a Torflex (on any
model), what is your opinion of this axle?>>

I can't imagine that a Henschen axle wouldn't be available for your
Minuet.  My Airstream dealer (Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, IA) was
able to order a new Henschen axle for my Minuet 6.0 Metre which is only
marginally heavier than your Bambi and approximately the same width.
Not all Airstream dealers are Vintage "Friendly" so it may take
contacting more than one dealer to find one who is familiar with the
process of acquiring the needed axle.

<< I would like to fit this trailer with whitewall tires; maybe even
wide whitewalls.  I would like to get some opinions on this subject and
perhaps some recommendations for whitewall trailer tires.  I have been
looking at tires at www.cokertire.com.>>

For your safety and the safety of those with whom you share the road, be
sure that any tire that you consider for the coach has the ST (Special
Trailer) designation in its size descriptor.  Unfortunately, whitewalls
for trailers have been very nearly impossible to find for a little more
than a decade - - especially if you want the major player in the game,
Good Year Marathon STs.

<< I know many vintage Bambi owners switch out the original 13" rims in
favor of 14" rims.  With a lower profile radial tire, the overall ride
height seems roughly the same.>>

What you propose can be done with the help of a knowledgeable wheel and
tire salesperson.  You will want to be certain that the wheel salesman
knows that the wheel is destined for trailer service, and the normal
advice is to stick with a 2,600 pound capacity rim - - rims are rated
for load carrying as well as trailer service.  When I purchased
aftermarket aluminum Boyd Coddington wheels for my Cadillac, my dealer
indicated that he could order matching wheels for my Airstream with the
proper ratings.  Measuring will be critical as the early '60s single
axle Airstreams are noted for close clearances in their wheel wells.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359