[VAL] Nigtmare at Inland RV

I had a similar expense a while back, though the estimate was "only"
exceeded by 60%, or $1200.  Payment was demanded in cash or cashiers check,
a sure sign he knows his customers are not very satisfied.  This list has
supported Andy, due to his extensive experience, and probably also due to
his exclusive reserve of new parts.  I have not said much about my
experience in deference to what I think are the wishes of the list, however,
I am still upset by this, the biggest scam I have ever experienced.  In my
case, when I asked why I wasn't notified when the quote was being exceeded,
he starting screaming at me that I wanted the work done "on a silver
platter".  I actually created a web page with scanned receipts and details
of the transaction, but stopped short of posting it.  Issues like months of
delay, or paying $185 for a new door look, getting home and finding out I
couldn't latch the door from the inside are common.  When I disassembled the
lock to find out what was wrong, I found that my original parts with wear
had been put back in! Only the exposed parts were new!

Sueing may not be easy.  I found to the best of my knowledge, auto mechanics
operate under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of
Auto Repair (BAR), who is very aggressive about controlling these types of
activities.  We were unable to find a BAR license for Inland RV, and
therefore the BAR can't help in disputes.  He seems to be operating in a
gray area that may not require BAR control. I filed with the BBB, the first
time I have ever complained to them.  He is apparently much more familiar
with dealing with BBB than I am, unfortunately.

This brings back bad feelings, but if I can help someone else avoid a
similar experience, it was worth it.

Wayne
62 Bambi