RE: [VAL] Hitches???

Greetings Eric and Elizabeth!

Welcome to the List and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

According the Aistream corporate website, the '67 Caravel had an empty
weight of 2,450 pounds with a hitch weight of 300 pounds (see:
http://www.airstream.com/airstream/product_line/customer_service/docs/we
ights-1.pdf).  The likely Gross Weight (with options/fluids/personal
possessions) will likely approach 3,750 pounds with a hitch weight in
the vicinity of 450 pounds.

Both of my coaches are equipped with Reese Strait-Line hitches with Dual
Cam Sway Control (See:
http://www.reeseproducts.com/products/products/wd_dualcam.shtml).  I was
concerned about its applicability for the Minuet which has very similar
Gross and hitch weight characteristics (3,100 pounds Gross Weight with
550 pounds hitch weight).  In checking with the Engineering Department
at Reese, I was assured that so long as the coach had at least 400
pounds on the hitch the Dual Cam would function as intended.  I am
thrilled with the way the hitch has performed on both of my coaches.

The weight distribution and sway control are integrated functions with
the Reese Strait-Line Hitch with Dual Cam Sway Control.  What I learned
from the experienced technician who setup my hitches was that it is VERY
critical to match the weight rating of the weight distribution bars as
closely to the actual hitch weight as is possible - - in fact, if towing
with a "heavy duty" or stiffly sprung tow vehicle weight distribution
bars that are slightly underrated for the actual hitch weight are
desirable (when towing with my Suburban, I use a 350 pound light-weight
special Reese bar set for the Minuet).

In regard to the wiring of the umbilical cord, adapters can be
configured but it is usually easier in the long-run to convert to the
modern standard.  Converting to the modern standard will simplify
switching tow vehicles in the future, and will make it easier to deal
with an emergency situation where you may need to tow your coach with
other than your regular tow vehicle.  You will also find that unless the
umbilical cord has been rewired that it will not conform to the modern
standard - - in fact, the color coding for the functions of the wires
will not be consistent with the current standard either.  You can find
the original wiring information at:
http://www.airstream.com/airstream/product_line/customer_service/docs/7w
ayplug1966-81.pdf .  The more important thing to take from the diagrams
is the function assigned to each wire rather than position.  You can
find the current "industry standard" for wiring of the Bargman plugs at:
http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm .  When I had to reconfigure the
umbilical cords on both of my coaches, I verified the function of the
wires (matched the Airstream diagrams for both the '64 and '78) using a
garden tractor battery and alligator clips on 24" leads then wired the
trailer end to match the functions of the industry standard connection
on my tow vehicle.

Good luck with your Caravel!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359